The full "Substance Abuse and Addiction" article is the opening of a discussion of Substance Abuse and Addiction issues. We won’t try to be very precise about a definition of drug abuse. In general, we refer to any destructive use of legal or illegal drugs and/or alcohol with negative consequences or at high risk of negative consequences as substance abuse. We realize that definition is both broad and vague. We do not plan to clarify that further at that this point. We are concerned about confusion over the meaning of “addiction” and we want to clarify that. Confusion over that leads to many bad decisions and contributes to fraudulent marketing.
This article addresses current understanding of addiction, implications for traditional and new methods of treatment, and basics that all programs should offer. We challenge both sides in the "Twelve Step vs. not Twelve Step" conflict; each side has merit and both sides should be cooperating in the interest of the general public.
Please read our full disclaimer. You are responsible for verifying our information before acting on it.
Links to pages on this website related to this topic:
- Old format guidelines on addiction and substance abuse (public access, still recommended reading)
- New Definition of Addiction (Old Format) Some readers tell us they still find this helpful. The ASAM definition of addiction is more precise, but some readers say they understand that better after reading this Old Format entry.
- See related article on Twelve Step Resources
- See Related article on Twelve Step Alternatives
- See Related article on Christian Recovery
- See Related article on The Destructive Battle over Recovery Methods
- See Related article on History of Differences over Treatment Resources
- See related article on The Seven Challenges
- See related article on Motivational Interviewing, Stages of Change, Transtheoretical Model
- See related article on Harm Reduction Model
- See related article on Dr. Lance Dodes (influential at Cedar Ridge Academy)
- See related article on Process Addictions
- See related article on Interventions and Interventionists
Navigation helps (this website):
- Return to Topics of Interest -- under Meeting Special Needs
- Return to Issues of Concern -- under Virtual Consultant
- Return to Substance Abuse and Addiction (link page under Virtual Consultant)
Links to relevant information on other websites:
- ASAM Definition of Addiction
- Twelve Steps of Alcoholics Anonymous
- Twelve Traditions of Alcoholics Anonymous
- Alcoholics Anonymous -- Official Website
- Alcoholics Anonymous -- Wikipedia Listing
- Frank Buchman -- Founder of Oxford Group
- Oxford Group -- Wikipedia
- Sam Shoemaker -- Wikipedia
- Twelve Steps and Traditions -- With explanation, Official AA
- Twelve Steps (for people with no prior knowledge) -- Wikipedia
Last update July 2, 2018