The full "Substance Abuse and Addiction" article is a preliminary opening of a discussion of Substance Abuse and Addiction issues. We won’t try to be very precise about a definition of drug abuse. In general, we refer to any destructive use of legal or illegal drugs and/or alcohol with negative consequences or at high risk of negative consequences as substance abuse. We realize that definition is both broad and vague. We do not plan to clarify that further at that this point. We are concerned about confusion over the meaning of “addiction” and we want to clarify that. Confusion over that leads to many bad decisions and contributes to fraudulent marketing.
This article addresses current understanding of addiction, implications for traditional and new methods of treatment, and basics that all programs should offer. We challenge both sides in the "Twelve Step vs. not Twelve Step" conflict; each side has merit and both sides should be cooperating in the interest of the general public.
- Go to Substance Abuse and Addiction full article. (Member access only)
- See related article on Twelve Step Resources
- See related article on Twelve Step Alternatives
- See related article on Destructive Battle over Recovery Methods
- See related article on History of Differences over Addiction Treatment
- See related article on The Seven Challenges
- See related article on Motivational Interviewing, Stages of Change and TTM
- See related article on Harm Reduction Model
- Return to Topics of Interest -- under Meeting Special Needs
- Return to Issues of Concern -- under Virtual Consultant
- ASAM Definition of Addiction
Last update January 19, 2018