For instruction on how to use this page, please click here.
Please note that we report what we believe to be true as of the date we entered the information, but we are not responsible for errors and oversights. We do not have perfect information on every school and program listed. We know that schools and programs listed here belong in categories we have not assigned and/or should have been tagged where we have not simply because we did not know about the applicable trait. Please let us know if you see such oversights. Reader is responsible for verifying all information before acting on it. In case of serous doubt we prefer to err on the side of not listing a characteristic of a program. Remember that conditions in programs change.
Search Outline Part I
Items in black are to be added to our list of categories and tags. We are also re-ordering the items on the list to make them easier to find.
- By age Group
- Child Services (tag) (Category applies if the entire program or a discrete section of the program involves children 12 and under and includes at least some who are twelve and under. We may expand that a bit for schools and programs where younger children will be able to function without being significantly affected by a middle school culture. We do not include in this category schools and programs with a dominant middle school culture even if it includes much younger children. When we make that determination we are suggesting that younger children entering this program may need to function in a middle school culture.
- Tween Services (tag) Category applies if school culture a middle school culture dominates throughout the program or in a discrete part of the program. We think of this as a program where the culture is set by 12 and 13 yeaer olds, clearly comfortable for most 11 and 14 year olds and perhaps for 10 and 15 depending upon maturity. We tag Tween for any school or program where a significant middle school age population applies.
- Adolescent Services (tag) Category if for programming with a high school culture dominated by people in the 14-17 age group, including perhaps some 13 year olds and 18 year olds.
- Older Teen Services (tag) Specifically targeting people transitioning from 17 to 18 without loss of continuity.
- Adult Services (Younger) (tag) Category: Targeting college age culture but may include up to age 25 within the dominant population.
- Adult Services (Older) (tag) More mature adults
- Gender (as Categories, "male" and "female" include only those schools and programs that are single gender or, if co-ed, include major emphasis, on single gender activities. As tags, they include all schools and programs enrolling the gender checked.
- Type of Service
- Behavioral Focus Schools and Programs -- not fitting other categories (tag)
- Boarding Schools serving Students with therapeutic history (tag)
- Day Schools/ Outpatient Programs of Interest at a distance (tag)
- Evaluation Opportunity (tag)
- Farm Community (tag)
- Group Home (tag)
- Hospital (tag)
- Offshore Service -- Located outside USA (tag)
- Residential Treatment (tag)
- School or program addressing less profound behavioral concerns (tag)
- Summer Camp (tag)
- Summer Program -- not a camp (tag)
- Supported Apartments (tag)
- Therapeutic Schools (tag)
- Transitional Schools (tag)
- Transition Service (tag)
- Travel Program (tag)
- Wilderness Adventure Programs (tag)
- Young Adult Transition Program (tag)
- (Length of Stay)
Note: If the Category or tag you select produces a long list, not all will appear at once. At the very bottom of the page that appears you will find in the lower left corner, “<< Older posts.” Click on that to see additional schools and programs applicable to that category or tag. You may need to do this several time in order to see all applicable search posts.
Last Updated July 14, 2014